So let's go back to that dark dark period called poo brown. Upon move-in the master bedroom looked like the rest of the house.
After getting settled, we had painted the room Grey Horse by Benjamin Moore. The thing is that the room pulled REALLY green with this color and just darker. It felt drab and just... not put together at all. We had mismatched nightstands, too much going on behind the bed and I just didn't like the room at all.
The first order of business was to get the dresser chalk painted from black to... well. We weren't sure. We knew the nightstands that LB scored from the Thrift Store for $40 were going to be white, and so we didn't want the space to be TOO stark with all white furniture. Also, boring. I had a sample pot of Duck Egg Blue which I knew would not be enough to redo this honking dresser.
So, I mixed half Duck Egg Blue with half Pure White and I am in love with the result. The knobs clearly also had to go. We debated between these two contenders from Home Depot below... and wouldn't ya know...
The crystal ones won.
Those nightstands I talked about? Oh yeah. Those looked like this when LB rescued them (like dogs, basically).
As mentioned, we chalk painted them white. But we also added some feet to them! We grabbed premade 3-inch wood block-ish feet from Home Depot to get these bad boys up off the ground.
Before I show you the whole room "after" pictures, you should know that I am now a Benjamin Moore Paint life-r. I will never stray again. Please forgive me Benjamin Moore. A few months back we took advantage of a buy 1 get 1 free gallon of Clark and Kensington paint at Ace Hardware. They also sold Ben Moore paint there, so we had the Clark and Kensington tinted to Wickham Grey. We love the color, but we legit used an ENTIRE gallon to cover up the green/Gray Horse that was in here previously. I have NEVER used a whole gallon of paint to paint one room. Ever. Regardless of the paint panic, we LOVE the new brighter color and our much more relaxing master bedroom space!
One last time... Before:
See the nightstand feet in that picture above!?
I just noticed that the lamp shade is sort of crooked in this picture and I turned my shutter speed down way too much so it's darker than real life... sorry blogosphere. #bloggerfail.
Let's break it all on down:
- Bedding: Bar III from Macy's= Wedding Gift!
- Lamps: Pottery Barn= Wedding Gift from work peeps!
- Nighstands: thrift store chalk painted white... original knobs for now, will do something fun once we figure out headboard situation
- Dresser: thrift store find chalk painted Duck Egg Blue mixture
- Paint: Benjamin Moore Wickham Gray
- Curtains: Ikea. Need to be hemmed.....
Still left to do?
- I REALLY want to have white blinds in this room. The previous owners installed the wood colored ones throughout the whole first floor. Since they are expensive to replace and not actually necessary elsewhere I am not going to demand they be replaced throughout the house... but in here... momma wants.
- Headboard! No idea what we are going to do for this... it will be DIY, but solid fabric or pattern? White? Dark Grey? Pastels? I dunno man!
- Art and dresser styling: we are thinking of blowing up one of our wedding photos into a LARGE canvas for over the dresser.
- Possibly switching out the fan in here with the one from my office... it's a lighter and brighter.
- A different rug possibly? I like this gray one, but it just depends on where we go with the headboard.
It ended up pulling a little more beach cottagey that originally intended, but I love it actually. We busted this whole thing out over Labor Day weekend and we're pretty proud of ourselves. Any house victories for y'all this weekend?